Our community garden, at Pound Arts in Corsham, was started in February 2022 and is now well established. We were grateful to receive funding from Corsham Area Board, Corsham Town Council, Corsham Co-op, Late Lord Methuen Trust, National Lottery and Corsham Gardeners’ Club. Working in partnership with our friends at Pound Arts, and with a great team of local volunteers, we have created a wonderful new resource for the whole of the Corsham community to enjoy and benefit from.
The objective of the community garden is to create a space where the community can come together in a creative, educational environment, reconnecting with the land and production of food in a safe and well managed context. The garden enables social engagement and promotes ecological growing practices in an open environment that is both supportive and educational. Our aims in creating the garden are to:
- Promote healthy food by growing organic fruit and vegetables, mainly for use in the Pound café but also elsewhere in the community
- Provide an environment conducive to having fun, learning and sharing
- Reconnect the community to the land
- Provide a focus for combating loneliness and isolation, by providing a facility for selected community groups to attend and engage in community gardening activities
- Promote environmentally friendly gardening and growing practices.
Volunteers are welcome to join in with working in the garden. No garden is ever complete and there is lots more to do, planting vegetables and flowers, maintaining trees and borders, and so on. We have monthly working parties on the 1st Saturday of the month, 2-5pm, from March to October. Everyone is welcome to come along. Please use the contact email if you would like to help.
In the photos below you can see the progress we have made.